EARLY LEARNING CENTER
The Camas Early Learning Center (CELC) is located on the Kalispel Indian Reservation inside the Camas Center for Community Wellness: 1821 LeClerc Road North, Cusick, Washington 99119
- The Center is licensed for ages 1 month thru 12 years old for a maximum of 95 children
- Open Monday – Friday 6:30 am – 6:00 pm
- Open Monday through Thursday after school, for early dismissal days, or no school days
- Summer hours for the school age program are Monday - Thursday 6:30 am – 6:00 pm
The Center will be closed:
- New Years Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Presidents Day
- Native American Day
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- Tribal Events (as much notice will be given as possible)
The Camas Early Learning Center places importance upon each individual child. The program is designed to provide for
- The physical health, safety, and comfort of each child
- An organized social environment that encourages constructive communication and interaction with others
- Planned activities which encourage self-confidence, allow for development of creativity, promote coordination and physical movement, and provide intellectual stimulation
- Cultural and language development of the Kalispel Tribe of Indians
- Promoting brain development for the first 5 year of a child's life, thus readying the child for kindergarten and the school system
The physical arrangements and emotional climate will demonstrate special consideration for the needs and interest of the children who are living and learning within a particular environment. Emphasis is placed on providing experiences to enrich their daily lives. Culturally and developmentally appropriate activities will be provided.
Staff will encourage children to see themselves as worthwhile individuals who are able to:
- Act constructively and independently
- Problem solve creatively
- Communicate feelings, problems, and ideas
- Compromise, negotiate and cooperate
With the above mentioned items in mind, the staff will act as resources, exposing children to a wide range of materials, ideas, experiences, and facts for the children to explore, experiment with and assimilate with according to their individual rates of development. The staff will provide guidance and facilitate the learning process while adjusting to the pace and capabilities of each child. The program will provide each child with ample opportunities for success within a secure and affectionate environment.
KALISPEL LANGUAGE TEACHERS
The CELC has Salish speaking teachers who teach the language to our children, staff, parents and the community. Sharing the language and culture of the Kalispel Tribe with the people of this area helps strengthen our community. Every student and every staff member takes a Salish lesson every day.
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION AND ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
The CELC participates in the state funded Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP). ECEAP is an income-based program designed to aid 3 and 4 year old children and their families. To promote school success, ECEAP provides preschool education, family support, and health and nutrition services. Below are some quotes from a recent ECEAP Parent-Teacher Conferences.
- "I couldn't ask for better teachers when it came to my child and his learning experiences and great adventures."
- "It has always been an awesome program for our family."
- "The program and staff are amazing."
- "I think the teachers work very hard with special needs of all the children."